“For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.”
Ecclesiastes 3:1New International Version (NIV)
September brings many changes in our household. We celebrate five birthdays, some of us return to work, and all of us enjoy watching the lush green leaves turn to the rich golden color of fall. Each of these events brings with it change, the changes of age, entering or returning to school, and the weather among many others.
While all of these changes are expected, some are wanted more than others. The change in weather is a welcome beautiful relief from the oppressive heat of summer. It is an opportunity to drive through the mountains and enjoy first-hand the wonder and majesty of God through the rich colors of leaves and cool breezes. There is the excitement of getting to know new friends and learning new information. Birthdays may or may not be wanted, however, they do offer the opportunity to celebrate life with our family and friends.
How we react to these changes can have a long-term effect on our relationships with family, friends, co-workers, and others. So, as we enter this season of change, enjoy this gift from God and try some of these activities with your family:
· Take an afternoon ride in the mountains and enjoy the beauty of the varied colors of the leaves.
· If you live near the ocean, take a walk on the beach and notice the changes in winds and tides
· Take a family picnic to a favorite place and enjoy the time together
· Plant some fall flowers
· Create some “Happy Fall” cards to give to family and friends
· Talk to children entering or returning to school about their anxieties of meeting new friends and learning more challenging material.
· Spend some time visiting the school and getting school supplies.
· Spend some family time reading Ecclesiastes 3:1-11 and discuss all of the different times/ changes listed
· Spend some time praying as a family thanking God for His gift of the change in seasons
© 2014 Elizabeth B. Loveday. All Rights Reserved