The holiday season is the perfect time for gingerbread.
This cake is wonderful for parties or the family Christmas dinner.
3/4 cup molasses
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
lemon and orange rind
1. Coat a 10-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
2. Beat the first 4 ingredients at medium speed until blended.
3. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients; add to the molasses mixture alternating with the hot water, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat at low speed after each addition. Pour into the pan.
4. Bake at 350 for 32-35 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, combine the half cup sugar and the next 3 ingredients in a small saucepan; simmer over medium-low heat 5 minutes, letting the sugar dissolve. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
6. Poke holes in top of cake using a skewer. Pour syrup over cake. Cool completely. Invert cake onto serving platter; lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar, garnish with the lemon and orange rind if desired.
Michele Tracey, Food Editor